Friday, May 10, 2024

 The Mercury is rising

I got nothing left to say
Everywhere upon this world
Has left me oh today
 The branch is breaking 
 Underfoot 
I see my fall is clear
I'll take you down with me
And you can be my dear

I rode the train to Wichita
I rode it all the way 
I rode it past the steer yard
And to heights I couldn't say
I rode it  past the workers
They had nothing left to say
 But now my train ridings done
And I'll go on my way

The window was still open
The rain was pouring in
The stove was cold
The kitchen too
 But Bonaparte sat in a chair
Smoking a cheroot

He hardly moved but 
Coughed once or twice
 His old grey coat was tattered
  And his shoes were worn thin
  He smiled at me and asked
Where the heck have you been?

I stole a mule in Pasadena
Ran a borax team in Death Valley
I'd wandered thru the PNW
THROUGH the rain and cold
I bet on horses in Tennessee
Married a gal in Saskatoon
But she's long gone
And here I am 
What time is it?