Saturday, May 04, 2024

 I once invited a radical leftist poet from Spain to Thanksgiving. 

We got a ride to my mom's house in the country with a  balding dude she was dating. He had worked at an engineering firm in SF. It was famous but I forget the name. Dude was from Greece or Turkey or both I forget what his deal was. 
He said when he moved to the U.S. it upset him that he  wasn't addressed as Herr Professor. He said they did so in Europe why not here? He said doctors here are referred to as Dr. why not professors or engineers?
My friend and I looked at each other like who the fuck is this guy?
Driving the roads out to the country he said if an innocent person were put in jail it was okay as long as it assured that no guilty persons went free. 
"Are you fucking kidding?! I don't think you understand how justice works in this country. A person is considered innocent until proven guilty. You just want to put in prison everyone suspected of a crime in order to make absolutely certain no guilty people remain free? 
The poet had been born in Spain and as a child had been one of Franco's Fascist Youth. He knew from Fascists.