Wednesday, August 22, 2018


awash in gray
  the air is not moving
  august on the northwest coast
late seventies he said
before we went off to college
  we drove North
along highway one
  my friend had a cassette tape of a
Bob Dylan album
Tangled Up in Blue
  getting stoned every day
greasy high
 washing pans used over
an open fire
 sleeping in down sleeping bags 
wake and bake
 and driving in the rain and fog
everything seemed wet
 and gray
even the car was gray
it may have been blue once
  but the California sun
had faded it to a nondescript gray color
  my friend had painted a racing stripe on the hood
as a joke
  we listened to that Tangled Up in Blue
all the way up and all the way back
   I think he had some bluegrass tapes too
and maybe iggy pop
 When I got to college all I listened to was Pink Floyd
day and night