Thursday, March 22, 2012

At the train station Harlan sat and watched a bird. It was hopping around picking at crumbs and waiting for someone to spill bits of a scone on the cement. An old man in a tattered overcoat walked up and looked at the bird too.
"Get outta here, stupid bird."
The old man kicked at the bird who flew off quickly.
Harlan looked at the old man.
He had grey stubble on his cheeks and he appeared to be missing a few teeth.
"Hey you." The old man spoke to Harlan.
" Yeah?"
"Can I get a dollar for a cup of coffee?"
" I gave my last dollar to the bird."
"What, you gave a dollar to a bird?"
" I gave my last dollar to the bird."
"What bird?"
"The one you just kicked at."
" I didn't kick at that bird. He just flew off."
Harlan stared at the old man. He didn't look quite right. Something in his eyes looked broken.
"Do you live around here?" Harlan asked the old man.
" Nah I don't live anywhere. C'mon just a buck for some coffee. Whattaya say? "
Harlan pulled out his wallet and handed the old man a dollar.
"Alright! Thank you son. Maybe I could get another dollar for sumptin to eat?"
"Why did you try to kick that bird?"
"I tell ya, I didn't kick any bird. What's with the birds?"
Harlan's train was pulling in.
"Okay I gotta go. Have a nice day."
"Alright kid."
Harlan grabbed his suitcase and boarded the train.
The old man was picking up a dog end cigarette from the ground.