Wednesday, June 19, 2013

the Parisian
night sounds
of private clubs
drunkenly spilling out
in the street 
on the Rue Richelieu
at 4 am
every night
it's along the way to Bibliotheque
Nationale
where satori
was so difficult to come by
and misguided gendarmes
gave incorrect directions
and when I asked, three or four people,
and no one knew where it was
maybe I was pronouncing it incorrectly
but no I don't think so
no one knew
"Je ne sais pas."
so I bought a map
at Gallimard
where the window
had Cendrars and Miller
in the window
(I stopped at a shop selling signatures and asked
about Cendrars
1000 euros and they couldn't find it
in their binders
"binders full of signatures"
awkward because I knew I would not buy it
they had two, the second much better
the other was a note in pencil on a pocket pad paper, faded)
near Place de Moliere
or le restaurants Japonais
so many in one area
next time
I'll stay in a neighborhood
not three blocks
from the Palais Royal
When I got home I opened the
UK Deutsch edition
the one with the pack of Gauloise
on the cover
and it was the same street that
he was looking for.