Saturday, July 04, 2015

The bus broke down outside of Reno. The driver said he phoned the company and they were sending another bus but it was in Carson City so they were 'going to have sit tight 'till it gets here.'
Robbie went outside and had a smoke. They were at a rest station off Highway 80. It was a grey day and cold.
"Hey, do you have a smoke?"
It was a girl about 18 or 19. She was kind of cute. Kind of hot.
"Um, yeah, here."
He lighted her cigarette.
"Thanks."
"What's your name?"
"Kiley"
"Huh. My name's Robbie. The stupid bus broke down. Fuckers, haha."
She laughed.
"Where was it going?"
"San Francisco."
"That's where I'm headed. I've been driving for four days from Chicago. Do you have a driver's license?"
 "Yeah, I do."
"Do you want to ride with me? You drive, I'm sick OF DRIVING!" She screamed.
"Haha oh hell yeah, awesome. I'm gonna go get my bag." He pointed at the bus.
"Okay, I'm in the brown Subaru wagon, see it, with the dent?"
"Yep."
Robbie ran to the bus and got his duffle bag and backpack.
"I got a ride." He told the driver.
He walked over to the Subaru. She was still smoking the cigarette.
He looked inside the car. She was obviously moving to San Francisco. The car was packed except for the front seats. A cat was asleep on the passenger seat.
"Okay, let's go!"
She tossed him the keys.