Saturday, March 09, 2013

 I worked in Teaneck, New Jersey for a while in 2005. I was working for an independent arts consultant who lived in the same town she grew up in. Her father was an artist who taught at the Art Students League. Her parents separated and her mother moved in with a ceramics artist in the house in Teaneck.
 These are some of the works I "restored" for his estate. They were buried in the workshop/ basement under years of pack rat disorder and sawdust and mice droppings. I'm surprised I didn't get the hantavirus. I visited the two of them once, years ago in the eighties, and they were pretty much doing the tunnel living thing. There were boxes on top of boxes with paths in between. I remember looking in one box and it was full of plastic bags filled with seeds from the trees and bushes that were still growing around the house.
  The neighborhood in Teaneck or maybe the whole town was primarily Jewish and on Saturdays they would push their child strollers down the middle of the same streets that they drove 40 mph on every other day.