Tuesday, July 09, 2024

 I was working the counter.

A portly younger guy wearing shorts and a rumpled Hawaiian shirt carried up a giant stack of books.
I rang up the books.
"That'll be a hundred and fifty six dollars and 27 cents."
His hair was tousled and he looked like he hadn't shaved in a few days.
He dug his hand in the pocket of his shorts and pulled out a wad of bills all crumpled and in a big clump. He set the clump on the counter and started picking out bills.
"Fifty seventy ninety one ten one thirty one fifty one sixty!"
I picked up the bills gave him his change and put the books in bags. 
"Thank you."
"Yeah"
He gathered up the bags and his clump of bills and walked out. 
Jeez I thought to myself rich fuck piece of shit.
About three minutes later I walked out front of the counter and on the floor pressed against the counter was a crumpled $100 bill. I looked for the guy half heartedly but he was gone.
I pocketed the hundred. I needed the money. We had debts.